Pre-K, Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Higher Education, Adult Education, Homeschooler, Staff - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Force and Motion: Straw and Potato

Guys! I really needed to bring some science into my room! I had been thinking about how to do this and remember a great science class I had in college! We had the best science teacher for our methods classes! Everyday, he had a really neat discrepant event (quick science experiment) for us! It was like watching a magic show every science class!

I wanted to do that in my classroom! I finally got around to working it up! Not only did I want to share neat science experiences, but wanted my students to be able to be active in them.  I didn't want them to leave saying, "Mrs. Wilson did that neat trick!"  I wanted them to say, "I did a neat science experiment!"  I also wanted students to have a minute of writing to solidify the experiment in their minds!  Here is one that my students love, and it is so easy! Grab some straws and a few potatoes!

1.  Grab a potato.
2.  Hold it over a table.  I actually set mine down on the table!
3.  Hold the straw between your thumb and index finger.
4.  Plunge the straw straight into the potato!
5.  Don't worry if it takes a few tries. You must have the right angle and enough force quickly!

Science: A straw is weak if you bend it back and forth, but the straight edge is strong! You must use a lot of force at the correct angle!

To see this product and response sheet, click Force and Motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed BUNDLE Reading Comprehension Questions and Reading Strategies

Have you ever found yourself at a loss when trying to get your students engaged with reading comprehension questions? Or frustrated with th...